One thing I've discovered since being diagnosed with cancer is the conflicting advice on offer...
For instance my colorectal cancer nurses informed me that I should eat ice-cream, cream cakes, very high fat foods, doughnuts, McD milkshakes and chocolate because they were worried that I would lose weight after the surgery in September....
Then when I met with the Clinical radiologists they tell me 'No! don't put on any weight because we've done your tatoo marks now and it's important to keep your weight stable during Radiotherapy'...
Then I read up on numerous internet sites about healthy stuff and cancer and find that time and time again I'm seeing that sugar is possibly one of the worst things to indulge in - cancer feeds off the sugar - along with 'bad fats' (hydrogenated and trans fats for example).
Now some people may say all this faddy food diet stuff actually means nothing, just eat what you want it makes no difference to cancer..... Well, of course that maybe true BUT when I lost my appetite back at the end of last year (2009) at times my body was giving massive signals that all I wanted was sugar and bad fats - coincidence maybe or possibly the bad cells asking to be 'fed'?
I don't really know - but what I do know is that I've put myself onto my own type of healthy eating plan which will consist of fresh fruits/vegetables, rice, lentils, flax oil and seeds, Chlorophyll supplement as I've been advised this is good as well for increasing the oxygen in blood and cancer doesn't like excess oxygen. It won't cure me but it sure as hell won't kill me.
I started this a few days ago and it's gone ok - apart from yesterday when I struggled to eat much, so instead of worrying about it I made some of Tony's healthy green drink (and forced Rab to have some too, LOL) and ate bits of fresh fruit all day.
Yesterday I could so easily have eaten something rubbishy like burger and chips because that's what my brain was telling me I needed - well, no chance tumour!! You're getting green veg, fresh fruit and healthy stuff from now on....if you're not happy with that you can always leave :-)
Jacqui got me a yoghurt maker for my birthday and yesterday I made up the first batch which was then ready today.
It was lovely, probiotic homemade yoghurt which I served with fresh raspberries, strawberries, chopped nuts - it was easy to eat and delicious. I shall be using this gadget lots. Rab was impressed and said it tasted much nicer than what you get in the shops - next batch I make will be a Greek bio-yoghurt :-)
Tonight I made a nice vegetable lasagne with salad, feta cheese, olives and a beetroot/bean side salad. I didn't manage much of the lasagne but did at least eat some - then I made some juice out of apples, pear, orange and carrot so at least getting some good vitamins inside me - even if it is only in juice form.
I'm also reading the book that Sarah sent me this week (thanks Sis x ) 'Anti-cancer a new way of life by Dr David Servan-Schreiber'....good reading and gets you into a more positive frame of mind which was exactly what I needed.
I've now completed 10 sessions of Radiotherapy - 15 more to go which means that next Wednesday I'm more than half way there.
Home »Unlabelled » Following advice or ignoring it & doing your own thing ?