I had an unexpected gig last night. I met someone at a coffeehouse who had a mandolin hooked up to a mini computer, asked a couple of questions, and ended up participating in a gig of a new kind. Well it was music, but it was different. The person I met is a traveling musician, probably in his fifties (?), who has a particular fondness for cuban (/mexican) culture and music. I guess it's kind of a fusion thing, because the gig was at a mexican restaurant but the spanish music went over very well. See, spanish, cuban, mexican, I'm very confused right now, culturally. Anyway I showed up at about seven. The musician, "Tico," wore a hat like the one above and a costume. We had already compared songs- he knows A LOT, and discussed ones we could probably pull off. I shook a maraca and went with him from table to table, seranading people. He played my guitar. He also played mandolin. Sometimes he played the mandolin and I played the guitar. It was very colorful and fun. It seemed to go over very well too. The boss was away on vacation, but if he gets back and likes it, this may become my very own gig. Which I may also look for people to accompany me on! Tico is taking off to head to a different part of the country. He's been playing this place, on and off, for about eight years now. It was such an unexpected experience. I heard some interesting stories and learned some new things. Got some more songs in the repertoire, though there is memorizing to be done, and plenty of it. I even made a little bit of $. All in all, a great night. Things also turned around in another area of my life, my living situation (to put it simply), which I thought was again going to change, but as it is looking now, I may just stay where I am. So, yeah, you never know what is around the corner. One more note...one of my most favorite bloggers passed recently. His name was Barry. Tico's real name is Barry. Just one small synchroncity that rings some kind of bell.Home »Unlabelled » The Corner
The Corner
Posted by admin on 7/31/10
...you never know what is around it.
I had an unexpected gig last night. I met someone at a coffeehouse who had a mandolin hooked up to a mini computer, asked a couple of questions, and ended up participating in a gig of a new kind. Well it was music, but it was different. The person I met is a traveling musician, probably in his fifties (?), who has a particular fondness for cuban (/mexican) culture and music. I guess it's kind of a fusion thing, because the gig was at a mexican restaurant but the spanish music went over very well. See, spanish, cuban, mexican, I'm very confused right now, culturally. Anyway I showed up at about seven. The musician, "Tico," wore a hat like the one above and a costume. We had already compared songs- he knows A LOT, and discussed ones we could probably pull off. I shook a maraca and went with him from table to table, seranading people. He played my guitar. He also played mandolin. Sometimes he played the mandolin and I played the guitar. It was very colorful and fun. It seemed to go over very well too. The boss was away on vacation, but if he gets back and likes it, this may become my very own gig. Which I may also look for people to accompany me on! Tico is taking off to head to a different part of the country. He's been playing this place, on and off, for about eight years now. It was such an unexpected experience. I heard some interesting stories and learned some new things. Got some more songs in the repertoire, though there is memorizing to be done, and plenty of it. I even made a little bit of $. All in all, a great night. Things also turned around in another area of my life, my living situation (to put it simply), which I thought was again going to change, but as it is looking now, I may just stay where I am. So, yeah, you never know what is around the corner. One more note...one of my most favorite bloggers passed recently. His name was Barry. Tico's real name is Barry. Just one small synchroncity that rings some kind of bell.
I had an unexpected gig last night. I met someone at a coffeehouse who had a mandolin hooked up to a mini computer, asked a couple of questions, and ended up participating in a gig of a new kind. Well it was music, but it was different. The person I met is a traveling musician, probably in his fifties (?), who has a particular fondness for cuban (/mexican) culture and music. I guess it's kind of a fusion thing, because the gig was at a mexican restaurant but the spanish music went over very well. See, spanish, cuban, mexican, I'm very confused right now, culturally. Anyway I showed up at about seven. The musician, "Tico," wore a hat like the one above and a costume. We had already compared songs- he knows A LOT, and discussed ones we could probably pull off. I shook a maraca and went with him from table to table, seranading people. He played my guitar. He also played mandolin. Sometimes he played the mandolin and I played the guitar. It was very colorful and fun. It seemed to go over very well too. The boss was away on vacation, but if he gets back and likes it, this may become my very own gig. Which I may also look for people to accompany me on! Tico is taking off to head to a different part of the country. He's been playing this place, on and off, for about eight years now. It was such an unexpected experience. I heard some interesting stories and learned some new things. Got some more songs in the repertoire, though there is memorizing to be done, and plenty of it. I even made a little bit of $. All in all, a great night. Things also turned around in another area of my life, my living situation (to put it simply), which I thought was again going to change, but as it is looking now, I may just stay where I am. So, yeah, you never know what is around the corner. One more note...one of my most favorite bloggers passed recently. His name was Barry. Tico's real name is Barry. Just one small synchroncity that rings some kind of bell.