Update re: my appointments today.
Had my MRI at 7.00am this morning - 1st there so easy peasy, in and out in half an hour. Then went on to have the CT Scan, delays there as they were short staffed this morning (as the nurse kept saying to everyone, over and over again). My appointment was 7.50am and finally got out at 9.30am - but all done now.
No results until the 25th August though.
Then after coming home for a quick breakfast went to the GP to sort out my 2nd opinion and other bits. Saw a GP I'm not familiar with and didn't exactly get the response I was hoping for to be honest.
I explained that I wanted a 2nd opinion because the operation is so drastic and can't be reversed afterwards, therefore to set my mind at rest I have to be sure it's the right thing for me and really the only option available.
He looked puzzled (irritated puzzled actually - that sort of 'you shouldn't need to question' look) and asked why I didn't just talk to my surgical team at Kings because they could arrange for me to have a 2nd opinion there.
I explained that I wanted an independent 2nd opinion - separate from where I've had any treatment so far and I didn't feel that seeing another member of the same team was the right way to go for me.
He then said 'They are the best in London, you should be able to accept what they tell you. You can see someone else in the same team who can reassure you that it's the right thing to do'
I stood my ground and said 'No, I actually do want to be seen elsewhere by someone who has had no input whatsoever into my diagnosis or treatment plan'.
I went on to explain that the decision to go for the APR (complete removal of rectum/anus) was made prior to my MRI results being available and prior to me receiving any Radiotherapy to reduce the tumour and because of that I want to see someone else just to clarify that I have no alternative less drastic options.
Lots of deep sighing, irritated expressions from the GP and then he said 'It's inconvenient to start the process all over again when you could just see someone from the team that's been dealing with you'
I looked him in the eye and said 'Inconvenient? For YOU? What about me, my care, my health and well being? This is not something they can put back once it's removed and it's my RIGHT to have a 2nd opinion so that's what I want'. He then turned back to the computer and said you can go to one of these choices then - so I chose one that I've not been involved with so far.
I mentioned the dodgy ache and he checked the scan results and said there was nothing there in April so it's unlikely there's anything there now - I couldn't be bothered to push it by this point.
I wanted to talk to the GP about other things too but to be honest by the time we'd got this far I was too stressed to want to say anything else to him, so I left.
So I think it's now official, I'm an inconvenience and a nuisance !!! Oh well, I can live with that :-)
Home »Unlabelled » It's official, I'm an inconvenience!